Job Title: Research Manager
Reports to: International Director of Research
Direct Reports: None
Location: Boston, US or Oxford, UK
The objective of this role is to provide the framework, strategic direction and leadership for Earthwatch’s global research program around sustainable landscapes and ecosystems.
This position will design and deliver a powerful, integrated Research program for use across all Earthwatch regions, which advances that Research Agenda and enables the program teams to deliver an excellent Earthwatch experience* which advances mission objectives, makes best use of resources and meets or exceeds customer expectations.
The Research Manager will provide the scientific vision necessary to identify important issues, work inter-departmentally and across regions to help design programs to address core issues pertinent to the Research Area, and to produce high quality proposals that lead to funding from corporations, foundations and individuals to expand the programs further.
Key to this is building organizational capacity across all markets to deliver high impact research programs by creating a global community of practice.
You will need to work closely with counterparts in the learning team to develop integrated programs that engage target audiences in our research priorities, and inspire them to value the environment and prioritize it in their everyday choices and decision-making.
Your focus is on building a worldwide network of high impact research projects and programs around your Research Area which:
- deliver scientific knowledge to both scientific and lay-audiences.
- create experiences which lead to the development of environmental leaders and more sustainable organizations.
- contribute to policies, management plans, processes and practices which are more sustainable.
- contribute to pro-environmental actions, and
- improve environmental sustainability by improving the conservation status of threatened species, habitats, and cultural heritage, increasing ecosystem services, and improving the livelihoods of local communities.
You will need to deliver across the matrix: delivering through other managers, communicating and integrating activities across different functions and regions and contributing collaboratively with other parts of Earthwatch to achieve results.
*By excellent experience we mean:
- High quality field research which increases knowledge, informs policy and delivers positive environmental impacts.
- Transformational learning which enables changes in knowledge, skills or behavior.
- Responsibly managed activities, which follow our safety and EMS standards.
- Inspiring engagement with staff, scientists, participants and partners that makes them want to belong to the Earthwatch community.
Key Areas of Responsibility
- Global lead on research area (e.g. Landscapes and ecosystems (inc. Forests, Sustainable Agriculture), refining and overseeing implementation of Earthwatch’s strategy for your Research Area, including design and assessment of research projects, working with internal staff (globally) and external partners to help develop and implement global research area plans.
- Providing relevant input and support on regional plans, with a focus on your Research Area.
- Deliver key research program objectives for relevant funded projects.
- Lead development on global request for proposals (rfps) for research area and Research sign off on global projects in Research Area.
- Lead, write and contribute to individual research projects and delivery of scientific knowledge to both scientific and lay-audiences. Staying current with relevant Research Areas.
- Development and maintenance of strategic global research partnerships that enhance mission delivery & support regional learning partnerships. Recruiting new prospective researchers and institutions to ensure the field research and scientific outputs of the Earthwatch supported programs have highest impact.
- Ensure effective delivery of key outcomes to agendas, and management plans; contribution to major International Initiatives for the Research Area; contribute to legacy in project communities. Contribute to International conventions and major international organizations for the Research Area program (e.g. CBD, Ramsar, IUCN, UNESCO).
- Work closely with Development, Regional Heads of Program and Senior Program Managers to secure funding for programs, and engage potential PIs and science partners on proposal development. Supports regional requests as needed, and supporting regional SMEs on proposal issues.
- Coordinate and manage Measures of Success for projects within Research Area, setting annual targets and performing annual assessment of impacts and targets for Research Area.
- Coordinate and support publications and presentations on research and citizen science.
- Communicate about Earthwatch’s research programs at relevant conferences and events to raise the profile of Earthwatch’s programs, developing a compelling communications strategy with the CMO which builds our reputation with potential partners and participants.
Key Relationships and Interface
A key requirement of this role is the effective collaboration with other parts of the organization across functions and regions, funders and external partners.
- Strategic relationship management of key scientists and their institutions, developing a loyal Earthwatch science community.
- Key relationship with Regional Program Heads, ensuring understanding of global research strategy and agreement on priority areas for investment, as well as strategic alignment with regional operating plans.
- Key collaboration with regional program managers to deliver and build organizational capacity to deliver high impact research programs.
- Close interface with learning SMEs to design & manage environmental educational and learning curricula around key PRAs or projects, including integrated online programs.
- Interface with 3rd party partners involved in delivery of research programs.
- Working with other Directors of SME’s to ensure consistency in SME leadership for the program regions, and alignment of mission goals and investment.
- Working with CDO and Development team to collaboratively generate revenue for identified research priorities and to provide technical research input/support to the development of new proposals as required.
- Interface with Communications teams to ensure the business case for engagement in our research programs is clearly articulated, and impacts appropriately communicated to Earthwatch stakeholders.
required experience, competencies and management behaviors
You are an established Ph.D. scientist with a track record of leading scientific programs that address major environmental issues. You have significant expertise and qualifications in design, strategy and evaluation of global research projects which lead to improved environmental sustainability by:
- contributing a better understanding of the issues and
- where the results of the research are actively being applied to improve management plans, policies and local action.
You have deep understanding of the environmental sustainability agenda, and how to develop integrated field research programs based on high quality peer-reviewed science whereby people can participate and contribute meaningfully to the research and through that experience promote changes in attitude, commitment and behavior leading to a more sustainable way of life.
Experience is required in managing the engagement, development, effectiveness and results of direct and virtual teams, sometimes working in other regions and functions. You need a strong track record in working with global teams and with teams based in core Earthwatch regions such as Asia and Latin America, as well being proactive and consultative in your approach to fundraising, project and team management.
The position requires a strong writer, with editing and research skills as demonstrated through publications, and outstanding verbal, written communication and facilitation skills. It is important to have a proven track record in generating significant funding from private foundations, government, and/or intergovernmental bodies. Written/spoken fluency in English is required. Fluency in additional language(s) strongly preferred.
- Managing Relationships and Communication:
- the ability to inspire and motivate colleagues and partners through excellent interpersonal skills, and to build responsive and effective relationships respecting different points of view.
- the ability to motivate high performing teams, fostering energy and enthusiasm.
- promoting collaboration across the organization, avoiding silos and valuing diversity.
- operating with organizational and personal integrity, inspiring trust.
- Managing and Developing Teams:
- empowering and supporting diverse teams of managers, (not necessarily direct reports),helping them reach their potential and developing capacity in research across diverse markets.
- creating an environment that promotes knowledge sharing, innovation, risk taking and best practice.
- treating people with fairness and respect, encouraging an effective work-life balance.
- understanding and managing your own personal strengths and development areas.
- Driving Results:
- excellent planning and project management skills, taking responsibility for the development and delivery of complex regional and global programs in conjunction with the program teams, facilitating the best teams to drive results.
- managing competing priorities on an ongoing basis, able to retain clear focus and set stretching but realistic goals that can be achieved on time and within budget.
- utilizing technology to aid planning and efficient communication.
- Commercial Acumen:
- managing financial budgets.
- management of ROI; understanding Earthwatch’s competitive set and how we can improve the value of our programs to partners.
- balancing external perspectives and internal resource demands.
- Leadership and Vision:
- setting direction and leading change, displaying longer term thinking with the ability to communicate and engage teams around Earthwatch’s vision, strategy and goals.
- helping the program teams translate organizational strategy and mission objectives into operational plans that enhance mission delivery across regions.
- dealing with increasing complexity, ambiguity and change, able to review and improve on a continual basis, adapting to external factors and making reasoned decisions.
- acknowledging and celebrating success, taking pride in the team’s results and inspiring confidence and respect.
- demonstrating commitment to Earthwatch’s mission and values, role modeling the desired management behaviors.
- Innovation and Initiative:
- the ability to find creative ideas and solutions which overcome obstacles and add value, with a ‘can-do’ positive attitude.
- an ongoing drive to find better ways to do business, able to constructively challenge the status quo in order to drive better mission delivery, revenue generation and results.
- able to see ways to align global and regional priorities for mutual benefit.
- Inclusive - We believe it is essential that people participate in solving the environmental challenges we face.
- Objective - Independent research is at the core of our work, and its outcomes determine our goals and priorities.
- Passionate - We are passionate about the opportunity we have to make a meaningful impact on people and the planet.
- Empowering - We seek to inspire people, organizations and communities with experiences, knowledge and tools that enable them to take action.
- Responsible - We act in a manner that respects and protects the well-being of people and the environment, including our staff, researchers, volunteers and the places we work.
Salary: Based on location and experience.
Please send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Return to Top