What We Do
Earthwatch's mission is to engage people worldwide in scientific field research and education in order to promote the understanding and action necessary for a sustainable environment.
A world in which we live within our means and in balance with nature.
Future decisions regarding the environment must be based on objective science and must engage and empower people and organizations to act responsibly if they are to be sustainable.
- Inclusive - We believe it is essential that people participate in solving the environmental challenges we face.
- Objective - Independent research is at the core of our work, and its outcomes determine our goals and priorities.
- Passionate - We are passionate about the opportunity we have to make a meaningful impact on people and the planet.
- Empowering - We seek to inspire people, organizations and communities with experiences, knowledge and tools that enable them to take action.
- Responsible - We act in a manner that respects and protects the wellbeing of people and the environment, including our staff, researchers, volunteers and the places we work.
How we work
We support scientific field research related to sustainable development conducted by leading scientists in a broad range of disciplines, from habitat management to health care. Earthwatch's Research Program provides vital support where funding is typically limited, to scientists from developing countries, women in science, and long-term monitoring projects.
Earthwatch is a respected leader in the field of experiential education, with programs ranging from improving the quality of geography instruction to "live from the field," web-based virtual expeditions reaching classrooms worldwide. To date, more than 3,500 students and 4,000 classroom teachers have received training and inspiration on Earthwatch expeditions.
We establish strategic international and community partnerships to support multi-disciplinary research projects in some of the world's outstanding areas of ecological and cultural value. By engaging communities in setting priorities and securing their investment throughout the process, Earthwatch implements an effective community-based conservation model.
Join an Earthwatch Expedition
Support our work in conservation, research & education