Fund Scientific Research
Earthwatch seeks to develop strategic research partnerships to contribute to global conservation agendas and enable businesses to operate more sustainably.
Earthwatch supports over 50 research projects, many of which focus on sustainability challenges relevant to business. Working together we can select projects that provide excellent opportunities for employee volunteering and training in areas critical to your business success.
Benefits of supporting research
- Better informed business strategies and practices
- New tools for managing environmental risks and seizing opportunities
- Demonstrating leadership in addressing sustainability challenges
- Increased employee awareness, greater commitment, improved talent pipeline
- Enhanced networking with scientists and other companies
- Productive partnerships with NGOs and stakeholders
- Contributions to national and international policy frameworks
Case Study: Starbucks Coffee Company
Since 2007, Starbucks Coffee Company has supported sustainable agriculture research at the Coope Tarrazú coffee cooperative in Costa Rica. Coffee is one of the most widely grown crops, and an estimated 100 million people depend upon it for income worldwide.
Beginning more than 20 years ago, intensified production techniques in Costa Rica resulted in significant increases in coffee yield but have more recently led to soil degradation and increased pest problems. This research project studies the relationships between farm management practices, soil fertility and nutrient status, and coffee plant productivity. Over the past 5 years, teams of Starbucks partners (employees), farmers, educators, and other Earthwatch volunteers have collected data to help develop and distribute more sustainable coffee-growing practices.