Fund Scientific Research
Earthwatch seeks to develop strategic research partnerships to contribute to global conservation agendas and enable businesses to operate more sustainably.
Earthwatch supports over 50 research projects, many of which focus on sustainability challenges relevant to business. Working together we can select projects that provide excellent opportunities for employee volunteering and training in areas critical to your business success.
Benefits of supporting research
- Better informed business strategies and practices
- New tools for managing environmental risks and seizing opportunities
- Demonstrating leadership in addressing sustainability challenges
- Increased employee awareness, greater commitment, improved talent pipeline
- Enhanced networking with scientists and other companies
- Productive partnerships with NGOs and stakeholders
- Contributions to national and international policy frameworks
Case Study: Starbucks
Starbucks has supported research at Coope Tarrazú coffee plantation in Costa Rica since 2007. Coffee is one of the most widely grown crops and an estimated 100 million people depend upon it for income worldwide.
Intensified production systems in Costa Rica brought about initial gains in yields but have led to soil degradation and increased pest problems. The research project bridges knowledge gaps by studying relationships between farm management practices, and qualities of soil nutrient status and coffee productivity. The information collected by research teams comprising employee volunteers, farmers and scientists is being used to develop more sustainable coffee growing practices.