Teacher Expedition Process
Get Ready… Select the right expedition for your group
All Earthwatch Student Expeditions involve hands-on field research, but each Expedition is unique. Some involve hiking, others include swimming or boating – and every expedition focuses on a different aspect of scientific research. With so many options available, it’s a good idea to read through all available Student Expeditions before making a choice. Some of the questions to ask include:
- How long do we want to be away?
- How far do we want to travel?
- What kind of research interests us?
- What level of physical activity is right for us?
- Do we want modern or rustic accommodations?
When you’re ready to move forward, contact a Student Expedition Specialist who will be able to help you narrow down your choices and select an expedition that is the right fit for you and your students.
Get Set… Get students and parents on board
Now it’s time to get your students and their parents interested, involved, and ready to participate in the expedition.
We’ve created marketing materials you can use to recruit students more easily.
- Download, customise, print, post, and distribute copies of the Promotional Poster for the expedition you’ve selected.
- Customise and email content from Parent Email Templates to parents and students who might be interested in an Earthwatch Expedition, inviting them to informational and planning meetings, and providing them with crucial details.
When you gather interested students and parents together, we’ve created everything you’ll need to share details with them.
- Hold an informational meeting, and use our Parent Presentation to provide students and parents with specific information about your planned expedition.
- Share an Expedition Overview outlining the programme you will be attending, so that parents and students can get excited about what they can expect to experience.
- Provide details about travel, costs, and other practical concerns, most of which are addressed on Frequently Asked Questions and Terms & Conditions pages.
Go! Take off for your Earthwatch Expedition
- About 90 days before your expedition begins, you’ll receive an Expedition Briefing booklet with specific details on accommodations, food, what to bring, daily schedules, local weather conditions, how to stay in touch with family back home, and more.
- Get support from an Earthwatch Student Expedition Specialist to complete pre-travel and travel arrangements.
- Get packed and start your adventure!
Return to top