Celebrating five innovative sustainability initiatives led by HSBC Climate Champions
Earthwatch joined HSBC in London in April for an event to announce the five winners of the Global Climate Champion Awards.
Since 2007, Earthwatch has been working with HSBC on the largest employee engagement and forest-based research programme as part of the HSBC Climate Partnership. Earthwatch is on track to engage and motivate one third (100,000) of HSBC's global workforce to take action on climate change. Of these 2,200 employees will successfully complete the Climate Champion programme, where HSBC employees spend up to two weeks at a Regional Climate Centre working with scientists to monitor the health of the forests. These HSBC employees also take part in discussions and action planning sessions to further their understanding of climate change. On their return to the workplace, they develop projects that help embed HSBC's commitment to sustainability.
The event was a celebration of the hard work, commitment and achievements of the 1,500 Climate Champions who have been in the field to date. The Climate Champions have made a significant contribution towards the Partnership’s research programme by contributing 75,000 research hours and measuring about 150,000 trees to date.
However, most importantly the event celebrated the specific sustainability projects that the Climate Champions had developed upon their return to the business. The five winning projects were those judged to have delivered the greatest business benefit to HSBC as well as positive environmental impact:
- From El Salvador, “Saving Sea Turtles: Winning new business through environmental action”: linking conservation to the opening of new bank accounts
- From Costa Rica, “Lightening the load: Reducing branch electricity usage”
- From Oregon, USA, “Branching out for paperless”: Encouraging customers to switch to e-statements, reducing costs and paper usage.
- From the UK, “Treading lightly: Reducing carbon footprint in Park Street, London”
- From Taiwan, “Project Green Angel”: an employee and customer engagement campaign
Earthwatch would like to congratulate the five winners, the other finalists and indeed all Climate Champions for their ongoing work in embedding sustainability at HSBC.
More information: HSBC Climate Partnership.